CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 17, 2009

Am I Beautiful?

I was gonna write about my awesome birthday and the awesome phone I got for my birthday!! But i was cleaning my, much needed, room and came across a paper I wrote back in 2007 and I thought I'd post it!!

She frowns. the reflection in the mirror doesn't please her. But it might get someones attention. Her black shirt's too tight, revealing and uncomfortable, but she won't change, even though she knows she should. She sighs sadly, feeling unsure. Maybe if she wears it, he'll notice her. And if he doesn't she'll find a way to make him.

The Biggest thing guys struggle with is where there eyes go. It's just the way God wired them. While I respond to kind words and a gentle touch, guys respond to what they see. When I walk into a room wearing a shirt that's a bit to low, my skirt too small or my stomach shows when i raise my arms, I'm not helping the guys who see me. I'm harming them.
I know that I can attract certain guys with the clothes I wear. Usually, the girl whose modesty is lacking is surrounded by guys who treat her with disrespect . The fact is I'm sending messages with the clothes I wear. A low-cut shirt says, "Hey, look at my body!" and attracts a guy who does just that. But a modest outfit says, "I'm saving something special." And the guys who are serous about guarding their purity will notice my modesty. It gives me depth and mystery, and they'll see my character rather than my body.
It's what guys will see when I choose to cover up. When I walk into a room wearing a flattering shirt that conceals my top, he'll see my smile. Instead of my midriff showing, my sparkling eyes will catch his glimpse. And he's thinking, "Wow, there's something special about her. She's not looking for attention, but she's caught mine." That's the kind of girl I want to be. And that's the kind of guy I want to attract. But, "I say, "what if I don't catch his attention, or he doesn't notice me?" He may not. But if I've found my security in the Lord, it won't even matter. And I won't need to dress thinking I can make him. I can but my trust in God who, in the right time, will bring me the guy I desire.
One of the main reasons I may wear a revealing shirt or act in ways to gain attention can be summed up in one word: INSECURITY. It's that little voice inside my head that says, Do you notice me? Am I pretty? Will you love me? I've heard those doubts in my head many times.The problem is, through my actions and appearance, I'm directing those unspoken questions to the people around me, whose response may disappoint me. I need to direct those questions to God who after hearing me ask, responds with a, "Yes!" And God's response is enough. I need to change my thinking(and the kinds of clothes i wear) from, "Look at me!" to "Look at Christ in me!" And with changed thinking comes changed actions. That's were my security should come from.

She feels beautiful when she looks in the mirror. A confidence rises in her chest, and she nods her head at the feeling. She knows how much God loves her, and that's enough to hold her head high. the clothes she wears give her confidence. She knows she's saving the details of her heart for someone special. The security she's gained from God helps her act in ways that brings glory to Him. "Am I beautiful?" she smiles when she hears the whispered answer in her heart. "Yes, my child!"

6 comments:

Margaret said...

You, my sweet girl, are more beautiful than words can adequately describe; and that beauty is straight from your heart because it is filled with the love of Jesus. It comes out of your heart and shines through your eyes, your smile and lights up your face.

I love your kind of beautiful!! :)

Kati said...

You are truly BLESSED, Brooke, to have gained such valuable wisdom so young, and to have taken it to heart. I echo your ma's comment; the presence of Jesus in you makes you TRULY beautiful!

JanAl said...

Wow, how awesome it is that God has revealed such wisdom to you at such a young age! I was almost 30, and married, before I got a concept of beauty in the Lord's eyes.

Chris said...

You, my dear, are a very special person.
I pray to hear these same words from Rachel and Karis someday.

~~anna~~ said...

Beautiful! What wisdom you have gleaned from God's Word!
I hope you are able to share this in your relationships with other girls. What an impact this could have!

Charity said...

Brooke, I can't tell you how it touches my heart to read these words of yours. You are truly honoring Christ with your attitudes and words. I also pray that He will grab hold of my daughters' hearts the way He has yours!